RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – Wall Street continues to drop, but companies keep on hiring in the Triangle with some 50,000 open positions, according to a review of job boards.
With nationwide job openings hitting a new high recently, the Triangle continues to benefit from a hot labor market.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics reported Friday that the national labor force increased by 428,000 jobs in April, with the biggest job gains occurring in leisure and hospitality, manufacturing, and transportation and warehousing sectors. The BLS also reported that national job openings hit a series high of 11.5 million in late-March, though little changed over the course of the month. The most significant increases were seen in retail trade (up by 155,000 openings) and durable goods manufacturing (+50,000).
It’s unclear how North Carolina fits into these trends, since the BLS isn’t scheduled to release its state-specific job opening and labor turnover (JOLT) reports until May 18. But WRAL TechWire’s Jobs Report series has recorded an uptick in local job postings in recent weeks even though one board (Adzuna) showed a slight decline accross the Triangle.
The growth continues even as concerns mount about inflation, interest rates, supply change problems and more.
Every Sunday, we track the total number of Triangle-area job openings listed on national job boards, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. Glassdoor, for example, shows 1,191 more job openings across the RTP area than it did last Sunday. Indeed.com also shows a net gain of 527 jobs in Raleigh, 514 in Durham and 429 in Chapel Hill. And ZipRecruiter added over 3,500 jobs across these three cities, along with +748 openings in Johnston County.
Consistent with broader labor market trends, tech-specific jobs remain in high demand across the Triangle area. Today’s Jobs Report lists a range of employers seeking tech talent, from Truist and Fidelity Investments to Blue Cross NC to North Carolina Central University.
UNC economist: We’re not at risk of recession despite worries
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring, and what positions are most in-demand. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources, and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
Below, we’ll review what’s new since last week’s Jobs Report.
Local Jobs on National Job Boards
Every Sunday, we track the total number of Triangle-area positions posted on major job websites, then we compare it to the previous week’s count. Here’s a look at the totals as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 55,374 jobs (-571 from a week ago)
- ⇓ Raleigh: 36,440 (-212)
- ⇓ Durham County: 13,022 (-414)
- ⇓ Johnston County: 2,697 (-234)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,468 (+17)
- ⇓ Durham: 18,244 (-43)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 18,024 (-30)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 40,258 jobs across the Research Triangle Park area (+1,191)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 18,720 (+527), with 3,726 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Durham: 11,637 (+514), with 2,451 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 5,459 (+429), with 1,564 jobs posted in the last seven days
- ⇑ Johnston County: 888 (+6), with 200 jobs posted in the last seven days
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 30,977 (+532), with 8,515 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇓ Durham: 16,771 (-71), with 3,700 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,207 (+228), with 685 jobs posted in the past week
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,686 (+50), with 503 jobs posted in the past week
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 42,733 (+70)
- ⇑ Durham: 17,558 (+246)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 4,093 (+3,228)
- ⇑ Johnston County: 1,113 (+748)
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (251 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (13,186 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (325 startup jobs in/near RTP) and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. The organization provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 87 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 45 in Durham and 31 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter). Four local jobs were added to the site over the last week:
- Jones Lang LaSalle (JLL) posted an opening for a property marketing manager in Raleigh.
- The North Carolina Bar Association seeks a marketing specialist in Cary.
- Raleigh Parks, Recreation and Cultural Resources is hiring a senior marketing communications analyst.
- Verizon is looking to hire a new security product marketing manager at its Cary office.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by company, location and job function.
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 292 jobs at 56 companies. More than two dozen job openings were posted in the last week:
- Accredit Solutions, an accreditation platform, posted a remote opening for a .Net developer.
- Real estate startup Acre Labs seeks a remote product marketing manager.
- California-based parking operator platform AirGarage posted two remote positions for a head of growth and a head of sales development.
- Health care firm Aledade listed four job openings: New ventures director (in Durham), senior analyst of new ventures (Durham), new ventures manager (remote) and remote new ventures analyst (remote).
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is hiring a client success manager in Raleigh.
- Crossrope, a fitness tech startup in Raleigh, is hiring a senior back-end developer.
- CureMint, a dental procurement software firm, seeks a remote executive assistant and HR generalist.
- Kinston-based private jet company flyExclusive added an opening for a data scientist in Durham.
- Durham-based data science firm NoviSci seeks a senior medical writer, a senior data scientist and a clinical operations intern.
- Insurtech startup Noyo added two remote job openings for a senior technical account associate and a technical account manager.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius posted four new job openings: Property and casualty sales associate (in Durham), test automation engineer (remote or in Durham or New York), property and casualty sales associate (remote) and senior manager of revenue operations strategy (Durham).
- Durham’s ProcessMaker, a workflow automation software provider, is looking to hire a chief revenue officer.
- California-based ecommerce software firm RepSpark posted three remote positions: Customer support engineer, professional services consultant and sales account executive.
- Payments software provider Spreedly posted two job openings in Durham (with remote options available) for a product manager and a corporate paralegal.
Bio Jobs Hub
Last year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
From flying B-52s to caring for parents to a biotech career: Air Force vet’s ‘colorful work history’
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 1,521 openings at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bank of America posted four Triangle-based job openings: Consumer investments financial solutions advisor (Apex), wealth management client associate (Raleigh), relationship banker (Apex) and financial center assistant manager (Cary).
- Bland Landscaping seeks an associate branch manager in Apex.
- Blue Cross NC posted several job openings in Durham, including senior business systems analyst, product owner, enterprise strategist, senior clinical pharmacist, division planning and performance manager, Salesforce CoE business analysis associate, senior Salesforce administrator, senior program manager of population health, vendor service delivery manager, senior data scientist, senior portfolio analyst (two openings), information security architect, senior marketing campaign strategist, portfolio analyst, senior IT governance analyst and senior risk advisor.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) posted five new job openings in Raleigh: Senior graphic designer, graphic designer, morning executive producer, associate TV producer and associate TV director producer (part-time).
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a teller in Durham, a fraud/AML temp in Raleigh and a systems analyst in Raleigh.
- Fidelity Investments posted several new job openings in Durham, including financial governance manager, customer data technology squad leader, software engineer (three openings), product owner, senior UX content strategist, software engineering director, technical lead software engineer, end user support technician, senior quality control analyst, senior data support engineer, principal data support engineer, senior software engineer/developer, software engineering director, senior software engineer/developer (six openings), project manager, architecture director, Scrum master, director/product and service consultant, investment solutions representative, senior systems analyst, principal engineer, senior site reliability engineer, senior Android engineer, director of cybersecurity engagement and awareness, principal data analyst, senior investments analyst, investment operations manager (two openings), senior IT data analyst, squad leader of defined contribution automated services solutions, AWS software engineering director, senior AWS software engineer, full-stack engineer, principal full-stack engineer, principal software engineer (two openings), principal data scientist, principal data engineer, software engineer in test and senior full-stack engineer. Outside of Durham, the company is looking to hire a planning consultant in Raleigh and a relationship manager in Cary.
- Medicago seeks a senior facility technician and a manufacturing specialist in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University posted several job openings in Durham, including public safety officer, student services specialist, university program specialist, administrative support specialist, chief information security officer, employer relations manager, senior academic support specialist, vehicle/equipment repair technician, associate comptroller, accounting technician, facility maintenance supervisor, assistant vice chancellor for international programs and community engagement, assistant dean of students, facility maintenance technician, admissions counselor, engineer project manager, building environmental services technician, accountant and accounting technician.
- Truist posted several job openings in Raleigh, including consumer credit card program manager, client IAM cybersecurity senior manager, cybersecurity manager, business and technology continuity management senior specialist, senior cybersecurity engineer, senior fiduciary tax liaison, brokerage client service associate, senior Azure UI/API developer, senior Pega developer, software engineer and mainframe software engineer. And in Durham, the bank is looking to hire an insurance client service agent.
- William Peace University posted two openings in Raleigh for a director of residence life and housing and an assistant coach of men’s basketball.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius. NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Here is what’s new over the last week:
- Beam Therapeutics posted several openings in Durham/RTP, including quality control analyst, manufacturing associate, CMMS/EDMS technical specialist and senior manager of procurement manufacturing (two openings).
- Histology technician at BioAesthetics Corporation in Durham
- Formulation technician, facilities electrician technician and cleaning tech at bioMérieux in Durham
- Research technician, SOM GMP program administration director and postdoctoral associate (two openings) at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Research technician at the Duke Molecular Physiology Institute in Durham
- Biological data scientist at Locus Biosciences in Morrisville
- Chemist/biochemist intern at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Merck & Co. posted several openings in Durham, including senior validation engineering specialist, senior maintenance technician, associate environmental monitoring specialist, senior instrumentation technician, associate quality specialist, lead warehousing technician, quality operations laboratory specialist, regional medical scientific director and quality assurance specialist.
- Oerth Bio added five jobs in Durham: Biochemistry scientist, insect cell biologist, senior scientist/project manager, accounting manager and synthetic chemistry scientist.
- Cell biology research associate and immunoassays research associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Product development specialist at Redbud Labs in Durham
Note: This list does not include openings posted by recruiting/staffing firms.
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board that you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (full-time or part-time) and experience level. No new positions were added to the site last week, so here’s a recap of the previous week’s openings:
- IT consulting firm 360 Cloud Solutions posted three job openings in Raleigh: Senior FP&A consultant, senior NetSuite consultant in managed services and senior NetSuite consultant in manufacturing.
- Raleigh-based Rownd, a provider of IT and data privacy services, posted a remote job listing for an experienced front-end software engineer.
NCWorks, the statewide job search portal run by the North Carolina Department of Commerce, has nearly 100 career centers located across the state. Users can filter NCWorks’ database by keyword, location, occupation group or specific occupations, minimum acceptable salary, education level, job sources and date posted.
North Carolina military veterans, transitioning service members and spouses can find additional resources on NCWorks’ separate veterans portal.
About 1,030 resumes were updated on the site this week, as of Sunday afternoon. NCWorks reports thousands of available positions across the Triangle area.
In Wake County, the top employers with the most job openings on NCWorks are*:
- Wake County Public School System
- North Carolina State University
- UNC Health Care System
- WakeMed Health and Hospitals
- University of North Carolina
Here are the top companies/organizations by job openings in Durham County:
- Duke University
- Duke University Health System
- Fidelity Investments
- Durham Public Schools
The top employers in Johnston County are:
- Johnston County Public Schools
- Johnston Health
- Novo Nordisk
- UNC Health Care System
And here are the top employers in Orange County:
- UNC Health Care System
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Chapel Hill-Carrboro City Schools
- Orange County Schools
*Note: This data was gathered through NCWorks’ Labor Market Information portal, which aggregates public job listings. NC Commerce confirmed with TechWire that this search pathway has a thorough process to remove duplicate job listings. Check employers’ websites directly for the latest information.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 169 positions at 30 companies as of Sunday afternoon. Thirteen jobs were posted over the last week:
- Levitate, a client communications software firm, posted two openings in Raleigh for a sales engineer and a customer success coordinator.
- Durham’s MedPharm, a contract development and manufacturing organization, is looking to hire an R&D/GLP study director and a quality control associate in Durham.
- Raleigh software startup Pendo posted seven new job openings, including senior director of integrated marketing, strategy consultant, Salesforce developer, growth product manager, enterprise growth customer success manager, scale account manager and technical success engineer.
- Cloud software provider Veeva Systems seeks a senior digital trials project manager and a digital trials consultant in Raleigh.
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 3,154 jobs at 100 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Aledade (Durham)
- Bank of America (Apex, Cary, Raleigh)
- Bland Landscaping (Apex)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Durham, Raleigh)
- Credible (Durham)
- Crossrope (Raleigh)
- Fidelity Investments (Cary, Durham, Raleigh)
- flyExclusive (Durham)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- ProcessMaker (Durham)
- Spreedly (Durham)
- Truist (Durham, Raleigh)
- Veeva Systems (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, regularly shares new openings through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. The program recently launched a job board on its website, with 10,878 active openings as of Sunday afternoon. Of those, 8,782 are technology jobs, 1,192 are advanced manufacturing positions, 332 are in cleantech and 571 are in life sciences.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs in the area. Here’s a recap of last week’s openings (from May 3):
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
Openings at Top Triangle Tech Firms
Job openings abound at the Triangle’s leading technology employers. Here’s how many are available as of Sunday afternoon:
- Lenovo: 314 jobs in Morrisville
- SAS: 153 openings in Cary
- Red Hat: 51 openings in Raleigh; 55 remote openings in North Carolina
- Pendo: 32 openings in Raleigh
- IBM: 25 jobs in RTP, according to the website; 173 jobs in Durham listed on NCWorks
Job Openings Submitted by Local Companies
Below is a list of employer-submitted job openings. If you’d like to submit your job openings for this segment, reach out to us here.
Communications software firm Bandwidth currently has 90 open positions at its Raleigh headquarters. Openings span software development, sales, IT, business analytics, finance, marketing, network engineering, operations and more. See the full list of openings here.
Rho, a contract research organization in Research Triangle Park, is hiring for several positions:
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta plans to boost its headcount by 25% in 2022. Its current job openings include:
Upcoming Job Fairs/Career Events
Here’s our latest roundup of upcoming job fairs and other resources to help people looking for employment:
Hospitality Hiring Hour (Recurring Event): Every Tuesday, 4-5 p.m. @Washington Duke Inn
Durham’s Washington Duke Inn and Golf Club, JB Duke Hotel and The Lodge at Duke Medical Center are on the hunt for top talent in the hospitality industry. Job seekers can attend this weekly event series every Tuesday through May 31 to meet with managers/staff to ask questions and learn about the available job opportunities.
2022 NC State Alumni Career Fair: May 10, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. @Reynolds Coliseum
The Alumni Career Fair is a recruiting event for recent and experienced alumni at NC State and surrounding institutions. As of May 8, 86 employers have signed up to attend.
Raleigh Job Fair: May 12, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. @DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Raleigh
This three-hour job fair will facilitate interactions between local employers and job seekers across a range of sectors, from banking to consumer products to telecommunications and beyond.
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?
Virtual Tech Job Expo 101: How Does It Work?: May 25, 10-10:45 a.m. (online)
Ahead of NC TECH’s Summer Virtual Tech Job Expo on June 8, employers and job seekers are invited to receive a tour of the Premier Virtual event platform and learn how to submit job openings, resumes and more information, and communicate with candidates/employers.
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo
NC TECH’s Virtual Job Expo: June 8, 8:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. (online)
NC TECH’s Job Expo allows job seekers and employers to connect live via chat and video. Employers will host virtual booths describing employee benefits/perks, job vacancies and more. While the event mainly focuses on candidates seeking tech-related jobs/careers and internships, many employers have openings in non-technical roles such as sales/marketing, finance and customer support.
Other Resources / Student Support
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
For Johnston County job seekers: The newly launched JoCo Careers website helps job seekers find companies hiring in Johnston County. (More TechWire coverage here.)
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: