Department: Department of Economics – Faculty of Economics and Administration
Deadline: 1 May 2022
Start date: 1.6.2022 or later
Job type: full-time
Job field: Economics and finance | Science and research
The Dean of the Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University, invites applications for the following position: Post-doctoral researcher in the field of labour and/or health economics at the Department of Economics
Excellent background in the latest empirical methods, as well as a desire to apply economic research to policy questions is expected. The candidate should be an independent researcher with a promising research agenda. Ongoing research in the COVID-19 related areas is an asset.
The postdoc’s primary responsibility is to conduct research on empirical macroeconomics and to contribute to an ongoing research project on the impacts of COVID19 pandemics on the macroeconomy. Teaching is not expected but can be arranged.
We are looking for:
- a full-time Post-doctoral researcher (candidate with academic title PhD in economics or related area)
- research interest in labour or health economics
- excellent background in the latest microeconomics empirical methods
- a candidate whose previous research should demonstrate the publication potential in leading scientific journals
- interest in the policy questions related to the Covid-19 agenda is an asset
What do we offer?
- Earliest starting date of the contract is the July 1st, 2022, a later starting date can be negotiated
- The contract is full-time (40 hrs/week) and, based on experience and seniority, the salary goes up to €3,500/month in gross wage (average wage in Czech Republic is around 1500 EUR, median wage is 1300 EUR)
- This is a fixed-term position that ends on December 31st, 2025.
- Possibility of subsidized university housing and relocation support
- Friendly and international working environment
- Opportunities for professional growth (e.g., university seminar series, internships, exchanges, participation in research projects)
- Flexible working hours and occasional home office to support personal needs in family and career
- Employee benefits (8 weeks of paid vacation per year, contribution to meals, contribution to pension savings, language courses, university cinema, exclusive mobile tariff, sport activities, vaccination)
- Opportunity to work and live in a modern and dynamic university city
About the workplace
Masaryk University is an academically diverse and research-intensive university with a strong commitment to high-quality research and education. The university offers an inspiring research and teaching environment to its 35,000 students and 5,500 employees.
MUNI is located in the university city of Brno, Czech Republic. Based on the most recent OECD Better Life Index data, Czech Republic ranks next to the US and the UK. Proximity to nature and other historical cities (e.g. Prague, Vienna, Budapest), variety of cultural and entertainment attractions, and top personal safety, make Brno one of the top 100 university cities in the world according to students. More details could be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kal6NSc_Nc
Faculty members conduct quality research with peers from other Czech, European, and American universities. Members of the faculty have published in journals such as Journal of Public Economics, Journal of Urban Economics, Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Scientific Reports. The administrative staff is experienced in helping researchers with both national and international grant applications.
Application and selection procedure
The application shall be submitted online by the May 1st, 2022 (11:59 p.m., CET) via an e-application (Please, use the link in the e-Application section below). Interviews for the position will be held online or in-person at Masaryk University.
The candidate shall provide following:
- Cover letter with a description of your research agenda,
- A full professional Curriculum Vitae including the complete bibliography of published works,
- Job market paper and up to two other research papers,
- A copy of documents proving the qualifications attained,
- Up to three recommendation letters.
After submitting your application successfully, you will receive an automatic confirmation e-mail from jobs.muni.cz.
For further information about the position and the department, please contact Vice-dean for Research, Science and Doctoral Studies, e-mail: [email protected].
If you need help uploading your application or have any questions about the recruitment process, please contact the head of HR department Eva Karkošková, e-mail: [email protected].
All interested candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of personal background. The selection process is based on an Open Transparent Merit-based Recruitment Policy. Masaryk University does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or decisions on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or sexual orientation. The faculty holds the HR Excellence Award.
Workplace: Faculty of Economics and Administration, Masaryk University, Brno, Czechia
Type of Contract: Fixed-term position that ends on December 31st, 2025.
EU Researcher Profile: R3
Working Hours: 1 FTE (full-time employment of 40 hours per week)
Expected Start Date: July, 1st 2022 or later
Number of Open Positions: 1
Application Deadline: 1st May
We are looking forward to hearing from you!
Prof. Mgr. Jiří Špalek, Ph.D.