The Sunshine List was released today for public sector employees making more than $100,000 in 2021 and in North Bay, the top is dominated by health care professionals and administrators — and highly populated by municipal employees.
See the complete Sunshine List here. It contains the salaries above $100,000 of employees of the City of North Bay, Canadore College, Nipissing University, school boards, hospitals, and other public institutions.
The highest seven public sector salaries in North Bay all come from the health care field. Topping the local list, as was the case in 2020, is Dr. Kenneth Boss a psychiatrist at the North Bay Regional Health Centre. Boss earned $687,964, down slightly from the $714,305 reported in 2020.
Dr. Jim Chirico, the medical officer of health who is leading the North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit through the COVID-19 pandemic saw his pay climb to $386,155 this past year from $323,601 in 2020.
NBRHC President and CEO Paul Heinrich made $364,912 in 2021, a bump up from $358,339 in 2020.
Two more NBRHC psychiatrists, Dr. Scot Salstone ($317,936) and Dr. Patricia Achiume ($266,208) make the top seven along with NBRHC Vice President Tiziana Silveri ($276,929), just ahead of the $276,689 of Health Unit Director of COVID Immunization Strategy Andrea McLellan, who has since retired.
North Bay Police Chief Scott Tod’s $237,378 snapped the streak of health care salaries atop the list. Tod is the highest earner of 187 City of North Bay employees — a list that includes members of senior staff, public library, fire, and police — who made in excess of $100,000 in 2021.
The Public Sector Salary Disclosure Act, 1996 makes Ontario’s public sector more open and accountable to taxpayers. The act requires organizations that receive public funding from the Province of Ontario to make public, by March 31 each year, the names, positions, salaries and total taxable benefits of employees paid $100,000 or more in the previous calendar year.
The act applies to organizations such as:
- the Government of Ontario
- Crown agencies
- boards of public health
- school boards
- universities and colleges
- Ontario Power Generation
- other public sector employers who receive a significant level of funding from the provincial government
Some notable public sector employees who earned over $200,000 in 2021 :
City of North Bay
- $237,378 North Bay Police Chief Scott Tod
- $223,915 CAO David Euler
North Bay Regional Health Centre
- $687,964 Dr. Kenneth Boss, psychiatrist
- $364,912 Paul Heinrich President/CEO
- $317,936 Dr. Scot Salstone, psychiatrist
- $276,929 Tiziana Silveri, Vice President
- $266,208 Dr. Patricia Achiume, psychiatrist
- $225,749 Dr. Brian Shaw, physician
- $206,730 Sandy Deschenes, registered nurse
North Bay Parry Sound District Health Unit
- $386,155 Dr. Jim Chirico, Medical Officer of Health
- $276,689 Andrea McLellan, Executive Director, Chief Nursing Officer
- $210,281 Dr. Carol Zimbalatti, Public Health Physician
- $249,999 Michael Degagne, President and Vice-Chancellor
- $220,384 Cheryl Sutton, Vice-President, Finance and Administration
- $246,529 George Burton, President/CEO
Near North District School Board
- $220,999 Craig Myles, Director of Education
Nipissing-Parry Sound Catholic District School Board
- $218,086 Anna Marie Bitonti, Director of Education